Welcome to episode 180 of the LJS Podcast where today I answer questions from the Learn Jazz Standards Community Facebook Group and YouTube channel. Lots of great jazz questions are answered over a wide range of topics.
Listen to episode 180We’ve got a special episode on the podcast today. It’s an Ask Me Anything episode where you are asking jazz questions and I am answering them for you.
I went into our Facebook community group, as well as the YouTube community, asked for some questions and you guys gave me some great questions to answer today. So, I am excited to answer these, to dive right into them.
In this episode:
1. What is the best way to improvise over different rhythms?
2. Can a sus4 chord voicing include the 3rd as well as the 4th?
3. How do you play fast long phrases that sound great?
4. How do you go from improvising over one chord to a chord progression?
5. What are the pros and cons of sight reading?
6. What is your favorite gypsy jazz guitarist?
7. What are target notes and how to I implement them?
8. How do you build a solo so it tells a story?
9. Is it more important to learn music theory or improve my ear?
10. How do I transition from playing licks and tricks to melodic ideas?
11. Do you ever feel overwhelmed when you sit down to practice?
I look forward to having you join me in the next episode!