One great practice that a lot of jazz musicians will suggest is to learn entire jazz solos by ear.
And by doing this, you get this bird’s eye view overarching look at how a great jazz musician approached a jazz standard and getting inside of their head.
So, I want to suggest to you 6 awesome jazz solos that you should learn.
Here are the songs I talk about in the video with solo time markings:
- Miles Davis’ solo on Freddie Freeloader (2:13) https://amzn.to/2X1dZYq
- Miles Davis’ solo on So What (1:31) https://amzn.to/2UyMCIw
- John Coltrane’s solo on My Shining Hour (0:40) https://amzn.to/2X5C5Bn
- Miles Davis’ solo on Autumn Leaves (4:20) https://amzn.to/2Z1irYW
- Wynton Kelly’s Solo on Freddie Freeloader (0:44) https://amzn.to/2X1dZYq
- Hank Mobley’s solo on Someday My Prince Will Come (3:09) https://amzn.to/2G2X5BJ
*The links above are affiliate links and at no extra cost to you LJS gets a small kickback from purchases through these links
Important Links and Resources
Jazz Improvisation Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Guide