I got a question for you: Have you ever felt intimidated to learn jazz, or intimidated to play jazz with others, or perhaps you’re someone on the outside looking in and it all looks a little bit overwhelming?
But, perhaps you’re someone who is working on jazz right now, you’re an avid practicer, but you feel often frustrated.
Well, there’s a good chance that some of the reasons you’re feeling that way are because of the culture of the jazz scene itself. the culture of the way this music is taught, the culture in which this music is played.
And I wanna talk about those problems today, break them down. But have hope you’re one of those people I just described because I’m gonna talk a little bit of mind philosophies and how I believe things should work and just how we can create a more inclusive environment for those who want to learn how to play this music.
Welcome to episode 390
In this episode:
1. Jazz doesn’t have to be that complicated: Feedback on a YouTube video comment
2. The easy ways to start learning jazz
3. How important is learning music by ear to jazz playing
4. Is there a best way to learn jazz?
5. Breaking down some huge turn-offs in learning jazz
6. Surviving in the intimidating jazz culture
7. How we can help in creating a more inclusive environment for a better jazz culture