Here at Learn Jazz Standards, our philosophy is that the best way to learn jazz and improve is to learn jazz songs, aka. Jazz Standards. The fastest the best way to improve is to simply learn more songs, even if you’re starting at the very beginning of your jazz journey.
But there may be some holes for you for how to go about learning. Learning a song, especially a jazz song. It can be an overwhelming task. You may wonder what the best way to do it is, and you may wonder how to improve faster by learning jazz repertoire.
So, in today’s episode, we’re going to talk about just the best way to learn a jazz song.
Welcome to episode 429
In this episode:
1. Considering the time frame for learning a jazz standard.
2. Having a goal-oriented, focused practice based upon projects like learning a jazz standard in one month to improve exponentially over time.
3. Going through the L.I.S.T. process.
4. Learning the chords no matter what instrument you play.
5. The “Batching” strategy.
6. Applying one tool or strategy for improvising over a jazz standard.