Welcome to episode 246 where today I discuss 5 lessons I learned from my jazz teachers that had a profound effect on my musicianship and mindset. Whether it’s by example or by the actual words said, I’ve been lucky to study with some world-class teachers who taught me a lot. Here’s some of the best stuff that I’ll share with you.
Listen to episode 246
I’ve had the great fortune of studying with some world-class musicians and jazz musicians over the years.
And I’ve learned so many lessons from these teachers that have not only impacted my jazz playing and the way I think about music but the way I actually think about life.
Here in the US this week, we have a little holiday called Thanksgiving. Now, of course, this holiday is much more about just eating food and getting together with family and friends, but the basis of the holiday is to remind yourself what you are grateful for and thankful for.
I am thankful for some of these amazing lessons from these teachers that I’m about to share with you and I hope will have a positive impact on you as well.
In this episode:
1. A lesson about playing with passion from Justin Nielsen
2. A lesson about playing from where you are at from Bruce Forman
3. A lesson about the never-ending pursuit of learning from John Pattitucci
4. A lesson about utilzing jazz standards from Peter Bernstein
5. A lesson about your emotions from Vic Juris