Welcome to episode 260 where today I’m covering a 7 step process for improvising over a jazz standard starting from zero. This is the exact process that my Inner Circle members go through to learn and improvise over a new jazz standard every month, and now I’m sharing it with you.
Listen to episode 260
Check it out!
I just got done practicing 4 hours to demonstrate the material that I’m about to show you in this episode where I’m going to show you how you can go from essentially not knowing a jazz standard almost at all to improvising over it at a fairly high level.
And there are 7 steps I’m going to walk you through that I personally went through today to get myself to this point and certain tools that I use in order to accelerate this process.
So I’m really excited about this process. This is one of those episodes where it’s kind of a big, big one and I really want you to pay attention to this one.
In this episode:
1. Learn the melody and the changes
2. Learn and memorize a chord tone map
3. Learn and memorize a guide tone map
4. Learn and memorize a scale map
5. Learn one chorus of an etude or solo
6. Compose your own chorus of a solo
7. Improvise a chorus of a solo