Welcome to episode 22 of the LJS Podcast where today we are talking about how to play at fast tempos and not get burned. Up tempos tunes are something that all jazz musicians must confront, and we’ve all been burned by them before! In this episode we go over some tips for playing fast tempos and how we can start getting better control over them. Listen in!
Listen to episode 22
In this episode
Relaxing while you play, and developing that mind set.
Subdividing- making the tempo feel slower by perceiving the time differently.
Changing how you play on fast tempos vs. slower tempos.
Exercise for fast tempo playing.
Exercise to practice
Playing free (not over a song form) or using a song form, with a metronome set at a medium-down comfortable tempo, do the following:
- First chorus (or for a given period of time) play only whole notes.
- Second chorus play only half notes.
- Third chorus play quarter notes.
- Fourth chorus play eights notes (optional triplet quarters).
- Fifth chorus play triplet eighths.
- If you can, for the sixth chorus play sixteenth notes.