Giant Steps by John Coltrane is often known as a right of passage for jazz musicians because it is notoriously one of the most difficult jazz standards to learn and improvise over. Truly it is a complicated song.
So, in today’s episode, I’m actually gonna talk about why going into the trouble of working on and practicing and learning Giant Steps is actually gonna help you play all other jazz standards a lot better.
Welcome to episode 370
In this episode:
1. Reasons why you need to study Giant Steps
2. Learn the Coltrane changes
3. Understand the underlying modulations within the tune
4. How to navigate V-I chord progressions in different keys
5. How to use altered licks for V-I ideas